The holiday season is the perfect time of year to gather those no longer needed items and donate to Goodwill! It’s not only a great way to de-clutter but also, a donation before the end of the year can quality you for a tax deduction. The important thing is to be wise about which charity you choose to support.
Goodwill Industries® is urging people to recognize the value in the used clothing and other household goods they donate this holiday season and to carefully consider if the charities they intend to support are clearly benefiting from their donations.
Goodwill is committed to transparency and advises donors to ask questions and be sure that any organization collecting clothing and household items can immediately provide information about their mission, history and the causes they are asking you to support.
“Far too many for-profit organizations are collecting donated goods and misleading the public, so it is important to give to charities you know and trust,” said Michael Flannery, Public Information Officer. You can make sure your donations are benefiting the people who need them most by asking a few key questions:
• Will your donation be used to support a cause you believe in?
• Does the organization receiving your donation serve the community?
• How will your donation help people in need?
Goodwill advises donors to:
• Give to charities you know and trust — such as Ohio Valley Goodwill Industries.
• Familiarize yourself with the organization to which you are donating.
• Consult charity-rating agencies such as Charity Navigator and GuideStar to find more information about specific charities.
For almost 100 years, Ohio Valley Goodwill has been the charity of choice for end of year donations. Please donate wisely this holiday season. For a list of donation centers, visit www.cincinnatigoodwill.org/donate.
Thank you Greater Cincinnati for your generous support that allows Goodwill to help thousands of people with disabilities and our nation’s veterans to receive skill training and get jobs in our community!